Burial Lots for Charity

homeagedwomen1.jpg

Dublin Core

Title

Burial Lots for Charity

Subject

Home for Aged Women
Founded 1872

Description

As industrialization and urban centers expanded in the 19th Century, the traditional extended family infrastructure degraded. In urban settings, family units became fractured and de-centralized, leaving sick and elderly family members without family to take them in when they were no longer able to work or care for themselves. This necessitated a marked the emergency of charitable “homes” and “asylums” to provide refuge for the indigent.

Mount Hope Cemetery Association made several charitable contributions to the City of Bangor in the late 19th Century by setting aside burial lots for Bangor’s Home for Aged Women, the Female Orphan Asylum, and the Children’s Home. Spanning into the early 20th Century, the Cemetery Association also set aside lots for unmarked graves for the Good Samaritan Home (for the unmarked graves of babies born to poor, young, unwed women), the Maine Charity School (later Bangor Theological Seminary) and the Home for Aged Men.

The lot for Bangor's Home for Aged Women includes 53 burials. The first burial in the lot is that of Nancy C. Blagden, who died Nov. 15, 1876. Edna B. Shute, 1897-1971, was the final occupant of the home with a dated interment at the site.

Creator

Unidentified

Source

[no text]

Publisher

[no text]

Date

Lot: 1876
Photograph: 2013

Contributor

Kimberly J. Sawtelle

Rights

© 2012 Kimberly J. Sawtelle. All rights reserved.

Relation

[no text]

Format

Marble

Language

English

Type

Block stone

Identifier

[no text]

Coverage

[no text]

Social Bookmarking